Easy Valentine’s Day Love Bugs Strawberry Cake Ball Recipe
What a perfect Valentine’s Day surprise this Love Bugs Strawberry Cake Ball Recipe will make! I never knew how to make cake balls, but this recipe is easy to follow. They are tasty and adorable all at once!
Strawberry Cake Ball Recipe Ingredients:
1 Box of Strawberry Cake Mix
1 Container Prepared White Frosting (not cream cheese)
1 Bag of Shredded Coconut
1 Container Gel Red Food Coloring
1 Container Gel Pink Food Coloring
1 Container of Small Candy Eyes
1 Package White Chocolate
1 Package of Milk Chocolate
1 Container of Small Red and Pink Hearts
Make the Fuzzy Strawberry Cake Ball Recipe:
- Bake the strawberry cake following the directions on the box. Allow the baked cake to cool completely.
- Remove from the cake pan and put into a large bowl. Use your hands to crumble the cake.
- Add ½ of the container of the prepared frosting.
- Begin to blend the frosting with the crumbled cake by working the two together with your fingers.
- Test to make sure that you have used enough frosting by making a ball out of some of the cake/frosting mixture. Add more frosting if the cake is not holding its shape.
- Make small cake balls.
- Place the cake balls into your freezer for about 15 minutes. While cake balls are in the freezer begin to prep the coconut.
- Place coconut into a ziplock bag. Pour the pink coloring into the coconut bag. Seal the gel food coloring and coconut.
- With your hands work the color throughout the coconut. When the color is even on all of the coconut, place in a bowl.
Dipping the Strawberry Cake Ball in chocolate:
- Place the bowl in the microwave to melt. Follow the directions on the package. Reserve some of the melted white chocolate for the feet and antennas.
- Using two forks dip the ball into the melted candy ensuring that all of the cake balls is covered with the melted white chocolate.
- Dip each chocolate-coated cake ball into one of the bowls of colored coconut. Roll to ensure all of the cake is evenly coated. Set the coated cake balls onto the parchment-lined cookie sheets.
- Use a drop of melted white chocolate to “glue” the candy eyes onto the ball.
Chocolate feet and antennas:
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a pencil or marker draw feet for your love bugs. I like hearts as feet or you can be creative.
Set to the side.
- Put the chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl. Place the bowl in the microwave to melt. Follow the directions on the package.
- Once melted spoon, the melted chocolate into your pastry bag. Twist the top to secure the chocolate in the bag.
- Trace your outline of your feet with the chocolate. Then fill the feet with chocolate so it is solid.
- Take your white or regular chocolate and pipe thick lines on wax paper. You can have fun here be creative straight or curvy. Now add your heart candy on the end.
- Remove your chocolate feet and place on another cookie sheet. Take one set of feet and then add a drop of melted chocolate on the middle of the feet and place a cake ball right on top.
- Now take a knife and create two slits on top for the antennas. Carefully insert your antennas into the cake ball.
- Repeat process with all love bugs.
- Let your love bugs sit for 1 hour before serving.